Whom should we choose as Godparents?
Choose relatives or friends who you feel will:
- serve as Christian models for your child
- help you in your duties as Christian parents
- witness their faith at the baptism and beyond
Requirements for godparents:
- must be Practicing Catholics (provide letter from their parish/parishes)
- must be married in the Catholic Church (provide a certificate of Marriage)
- must provide copy of Confirmation certificate
- must attend a baptism preparation class within the last four years and provide written proof of attendance - may attend at any parish.
Most parents choose two godparents; however, only one is required. If you choose only one, you may also choose a Christian witness (must also attend the baptism preparation class) to support you and your child’s faith development.
You may choose a proxy for the ceremony if a godparent cannot attend. Same requirements apply as a Godparent.